(DREX)-Director Experiment Station
Dr. Richardson has received numerous awards for his research, including being named a Fellow in both the American Society of Agronomy and the Crop Science Society of America. Dr. Richardson was awarded the Fred V. Grau Turfgrass Science Award, which is presented in recognition of significant career contributions in turfgrass science. Dr. Richardson was also the recipient of the Spitze Land Grant Faculty Award for Excellence in 2016. Dr. Richardson has authored over 110 scientific articles on turfgrass management, published 10 book chapters, and delivered over 300 invited lectures on various aspects of turfgrass management around the world.
HORT 2303 - Introduction to Turfgrass Management - FALL
HORT 4903 - Golf and Sports Turf Management - FALL, Odd years
HORT 4921 - Golf Course Operations - FALL, Even years
Ph.D. Degree: Agronomy, University of Georgia (1991)
M.S. Degree: Agronomy, Louisiana State University (1988)
B.S. Degree: Animal Science, Louisiana Tech University (1984)
Selected publications from previous years:
- DeBoer, E.J., M.D. Richardson, J.H. McCalla, and D.E. Karcher. 2020. Effect of late-fall wetting agent application on winter survival of ultradwarf bermudagrass putting greens. Crop Forage and Turfgrass Management (in press).
- Russell, T.W., D.E. Karcher, and M.D. Richardson. 2020. Determining daily light integral requirements of warm-season turfgrasses for golf course fairways and investigating in situ evaluation methodology. Crop Science (accepted)
- Berndt, W.A., D.E. Karcher, and M.D. Richardson. 2020. Color-distance modeling improves differentiation of colors in digital images of hybrid bermudagrass. Crop Science https://doi.org/10.1002/csc2.20158
- Richardson, M.D., G. Mattina, M. Sarno, J.H., McCalla, and D.E. Karcher. 2019. Shade effects on overseeded bermudagrass athletic fields: I. Turfgrass quality, coverage, and growth rate. Crop Sci. 59:2845–2855, doi: 10.2135/cropsci2019.05.0310
- Richardson, M.D., G. Mattina, M. Sarno, J.H., McCalla, D.E. Karcher, A.W. Thoms, K.H. Dickson, and J.C. Sorochan. 2019. Shade effects on overseeded bermudagrass athletic fields: II. Rooting, botanical composition, and traction. Crop Science 59:2856–2865, doi: 10.2135/cropsci2019.05.0311
- Wisdom, M.M., M.D. Richardson, D.E. Karcher, D.C. Steinkraus, and G.V. McDonald. 2019. Flowering persistence and pollinator attraction of early-spring bulbs in warm-season lawns. HortScience 54:1853–1859.
- Boyle, P.E., M.D. Richardson, M.C. Savin, D.E. Karcher, and D.A. Potter. 2019. Review - Ecology and management of earthworm casting on sports turf. Pest Management Science 75: 2071–2078, DOI 10.1002/ps.5479.
- DeBoer, E.J., M.D. Richardson, J.H. McCalla, and D.E. Karcher. 2019. Reducing ultradwarf bermudagrass putting green winter injury with covers and wetting agents. Crop, Forage, and Turfgrass Management 5:190019. doi:10.2134/cftm2019.03.0019.
- Rossini, F., R. Ruggeri, T. Celli, F.M. Rogai, L. Kuzmanovic, and M.D. Richardson. 2019. Cool-season grasses for overseeding sport turfs: germination and performance under limiting environmental conditions. HortScience 54:555–563.
- Pornaro C., S. Macolino, and M.D. Richardson. 2019. Rhizome and stolon development of bermudagrass cultivars in a transition-zone environment, Acta Agriculturae Scandinavica, Section B — Soil & Plant Science, DOI: 10.1080/09064710.2019.1639805
- Sandor, D., D. Karcher, M. Richardson, D. Hignight and K. Hignight. 2019. Kentucky bluegrass performance under chronic drought stress. Crop Forage and Turfgrass Management 5:180089, doi: 10.2134/cftm2018.10.0089.
- Russell, T.W., D.E. Karcher, and M.D. Richardson. 2019. Daily light integral requirement of a creeping bentgrass putting green as affected by shade, trinexepac-ethyl, and a plant colorant. Crop Science 59:1768–1778. doi: 10.2135/cropsci2018.08.0501
- Pornaro, C., S. Macolino, and M.D. Richardson. 2019. Measuring stolons and rhizomes of turfgrasses using a digital image analysis system. Journal of Visualized Experiments (JoVE), (144), e58042, doi:10.3791/58042. (https://www.jove.com/video/58042/measuring-stolons-rhizomes-turfgrasses-using-digital-image-analysis?status=a60048k).
- Menegon, A. S. Macolino, J.H. McCalla, F. Rimi, and M. D. Richardson. 2017. Turf quality and species dynamics in bermudagrass and Kentucky bluegrass mixtures Agron. J. 109:1502–1509.
Professor, University of Arkansas, 2007 - present
Associate Professor, University of Arkansas (2002 to 2007)
Assistant Professor, University of Arkansas (1998 to 2002)
Assistant Professor, Rutgers University (1995 to 1997)
Research Director, Turf Merchants, Inc. (1993-1995)
Postdoctoral Research Associate, U.S.D.A.-A.R.S. (1991-1993)
- Golf Course Industry, Outstanding Twitter Feed (2017)
- University of Arkansas, Spitze Land Grant Award for Faculty Excellence (2016)
- Fred V. Grau Turfgrass Science Award, Crop Science Society of America (2015)
- University of Arkansas, Gamma Sigma Delta Research Award (2014)
- Fellow, Crop Science Society of America (2013)
- Fellow – American Society of Agronomy (2011)
- University of Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service – Galaxy Award –Researcher of the year (2007)
- John W. White Team Award. Turfgrass Management Program, University of Arkansas. The turfgrass program was recognized for outstanding team contributions to the UofA Division of Agriculture in teaching, research, and extension (2006)
- Seed Research of Oregon Researcher of the Year (2006)